GCzII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cache lists coordinates problem?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cache lists coordinates problem? Empty Cache lists coordinates problem?

Post  Scodon Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi All

Only recently found this forum, but have been using GCzII on and off for a year or so - love the app Very Happy , not so sure I love GS or geocaching.com. Neutral

I'm not sure if this is a GCzII error, or my smartphone (2 year old HTC Touch Diamond) playing up. I have .50 installed, and have used it in the field without trouble (well, other than the usual dodgy reception problems...)

I downloaded a list of caches (using HSDPA) using the "find nearby" option, and everything worked as expected.

I'm about to go 4wding in an area away from mobile coverage, so I wanted to find caches near my destination, and look at them on Google Maps - but I got a message about an error in the "community map". The cache list that I downloaded using HSDPA a few weeks back still displays OK, but lists downloaded yesterday (tried HSDPA and tethered to internet connected PC) don't work.

I've tried exporting to OziExplorer and to GPX, and both exports don't have coordinate information. I've saved cache list and downloaded caches (unticked the "skip downloaded caches" option, so each time I try downloading I should be getting fresh information). I can view any of the downloaded caches in GCzII, and the coordinates are there, but they don't seem to export. When viewing the OziExplorer .wpt file, the commas are there, with no values in between them. When I manually edit the coordinates into place, the file imports & displays waypoints as expected.

Anybody else experiencing similar?

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Cache lists coordinates problem? Empty Re: Cache lists coordinates problem?

Post  SecretAgentMan Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Scodon wrote:

I downloaded a list of caches (using HSDPA) using the "find nearby" option, and everything worked as expected.

I'm about to go 4wding in an area away from mobile coverage, so I wanted to find caches near my destination, and look at them on Google Maps - but I got a message about an error in the "community map". The cache list that I downloaded using HSDPA a few weeks back still displays OK, but lists downloaded yesterday (tried HSDPA and tethered to internet connected PC) don't work.

If I understand you correctly, you generated a list of nearby caches. When you went to look at the Google Map for one of those caches without a data connection, you received an error. I've never seen that error, and the issue sounds strange.

This is just a shot in the dark, but try deleting the contents of \Cache_DB and then repeat the exercise. If you have things like waypoints and notes you need to keep, see THIS POST regarding saving those items before you delete the contents of that folder. I'm suggesting this thinking that something got corrupted in your cache leading to the behavior you described.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  redhockey Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:56 am

I have the same issue with the "This community map could not be displayed because it contains errors" message also, putting an individual cache to google maps is ok, but the complete cache list is no good pale . Will Tom find this issue from this site or are we best to put this on XDA?

redhockey

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:57 am

[quote="SecretAgentMan"]
Scodon wrote:
If I understand you correctly, you generated a list of nearby caches. When you went to look at the Google Map for one of those caches without a data connection, you received an error. I've never seen that error, and the issue sounds strange.

This is just a shot in the dark, but try deleting the contents of \Cache_DB and then repeat the exercise. If you have things like waypoints and notes you need to keep, see THIS POST regarding saving those items before you delete the contents of that folder. I'm suggesting this thinking that something got corrupted in your cache leading to the behavior you described.

I thought you HAD to have an active data connection to display a google map of a list of caches. confused

There was a discussion on this in the other forum a while back I seem to remember. The Google maps cannot be cached into the device so you need an internet connection every time you want to look at them.
(Can't find it at the moment)

Whenever I have a list of caches up on the screen and click the view map button, a data connection is made straight away (if available).

Don't know if this is related to the problem or not.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  redhockey Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 am

I always use data connection with my phone. Do not use wireless. I can sit there and pick cache by cache on there own, but not all caches. This issue only turned up this weekend when I tried to see what was near me. Last use before that and it worked fine was Tuesday 7th Sept?

redhockey

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 am

PaulLoft wrote:
I thought you HAD to have an active data connection to display a google map of a list of caches. confused

There was a discussion on this in the other forum a while back I seem to remember. The Google maps cannot be cached into the device so you need an internet connection every time you want to look at them.
(Can't find it at the moment)

Whenever I have a list of caches up on the screen and click the view map button, a data connection is made straight away (if available).

Well, you DO need to have an active data connection to display a google map of a list of caches . . . technically.

When I tested this before, I was actually able to display a Google map of a cache list without a data connection. However, this was a list of caches around my residence. After about a minute, I received a "Network Unavailable" message, though. (Not the same error the OP got, though.) When I tried the same thing with a list from another area, I received the "Network Unavailable" message.

My theory is that Google maps caches some maps. This might let you display a Google map of a cache list without a data connection temporarily, however, you shouldn't really expect to be able to do so.

Last edited by SecretAgentMan on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scodon Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 am

Thanks for the help.

The error posted by redhockey is the same as I receive.

With my HTC, I can access the internet via mobile network, or via wired internet if I'm tethered (USB connection) to a PC with internet access. I've tried downloading caches both ways, in case it makes a difference. I've also tried finding caches by town name, by cache name, and by nearest. All produce the same error when I select the Google Maps link from the cache list.

Yes, I do need an internet connection to use Google Maps, but when I'm 4wding I use a program called OziExplorer, which is (amongst other things) a moving map application - the maps are stored on my hard drive, and the program overlays the GPS position onto the map, so internet isn't required. OziExplorer has the ability to load and display waypoints from a file, and GCzII has the option to export caches to OziExplorer - this is what I'm trying to do. OziExplorer can also import GPX files - I get the same result, all the waypoints have 0,0 for lat & long.

As far as I can tell, GCz isn't processing the the latitude and longitude properly in the cache list view. That would explain why Google Maps reports an error, and the relevant spots in the (comma delimited) OziExplorer .wpt file are empty. And this is the bit that confuses me. I updated to .50 on August 28, and downloaded caches (using HSPDA) on August 29. That all worked fine, and the same cache list still works fine. It's only caches downloaded since then that don't work. If GS have changed their website again, why do individual caches work fine, but not the cache list view? scratch

Today, I deleted by cache_db contents and started again. No change.

I reinstalled ver.50. No change.

I downloaded & installed the latest Google Maps. No change.

Ultimately, I have a workaround - I manually entered the lat & long details into the waypoint files, and they're displaying properly on the relevant maps. Just a bit slower and more labour intensive, and interferes with my drinking time. clown

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 am

Hi Scodon,

Thanks for that explanation, I think I understand better what you are trying to do.

I don't use OziExplorer so can't vouch for any of that.

However, I did run a PQ of 11 caches last night that I am heading over to this afternoon.

So just to see what happened, I just connected my phone to my wi-fi, bought up may saved list which was generated from a PQ GPX import, and clicked on the Google map.

It works fine. All 11 shown on a google satellite view and I can click on them and get directions etc etc.

So apart from the OziExplorer thing, what have I done different to you?
If we can find out what I'm doing different then maybe there lies a solution.

Is it because I am importing my list from a PQ GPX file rather then downloading them straight into the phone???

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  Scodon Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 am

PaulLoft wrote:So apart from the OziExplorer thing, what have I done different to you?

Is it because I am importing my list from a PQ GPX file rather then downloading them straight into the phone???

That's the only difference I can see - you're doing all that you can to adhere to the GS TOS, I (normally) do my geocaching on a whim - "let's see what's around here." In this case, I decided to download and do the OziExplorer conversion in advance because I knew I wouldn't be able to download once I get there.

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 am

I create a cache list by searching for caches around an zip code that I never been to with my phone. I generated both a .gpx and an OziExplorer .wpt file from that list.

I was able to open the .gpx in both EasyGPS and Google Earth. The caches appeared to display properly.

I also opened the .wpt in notepad and noted the presence of lat/long information in the file. (I didn't confirm that the lat/long conversion was correct, though.) The top couple caches are listed below.

OP, did I recreate what you're trying to do?

- - -
OziExplorer Waypoint File Version 1.1
WGS 84
Reserved 2
Reserved 3
1,WoolyBumper 1/2,41.390217,-81.653617,0,0,1,3,0,65280,1NVXM/TM/Wooly Bumper/Capt. B of the O'Hara Cache Crew,0,0,0,-777,6,0,17,0,10,2
2,The"RockWood"PiratePrison 1/2,41.3918,-81.653983,0,0,1,3,0,65280,ZETP/TL/The "RockWood" Pirate Prison/The O'Hara Cache Crew,0,0,0,-777,6,0,17,0,10,2

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:42 am

Scodon wrote:
PaulLoft wrote:So apart from the OziExplorer thing, what have I done different to you?

That's the only difference I can see - you're doing all that you can to adhere to the GS TOS, I (normally) do my geocaching on a whim - "let's see what's around here." In this case, I decided to download and do the OziExplorer conversion in advance because I knew I wouldn't be able to download once I get there.

Ok.

This time I have based my search, direct from the phone not a PQ, on a series name (I can't search by nearest at the moment as I am indoors and I don't have GPS signal).

10 caches in the series come up as a list.

Without doing anything else with the list and with my wifi connected, I click Google Maps.

All caches appear on the map no problem with cache name, GC number etc etc.
So that's working.

But, they are caches I have already found so maybe stored in the phone, so...

I do a search on a place (town) I have not cached in before, to make sure that what comes up is not stored in the phone.

List is generated and I hit Google Map.

Yep, everything just fine again, lots of icons all showing the right details when I click on them.

So with those 2 tests, am I now duplicating exactly what you are trying to do but are having problems?

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  Scodon Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 am

Wow! Things are moving fast tonight! Very Happy
SecretAgentMan wrote:OP, did I recreate what you're trying to do?

PaulLoft wrote:So with those 2 tests, am I now duplicating exactly what you are trying to do but are having problems?

As far as I can see, you're both doing what I'm doing. Are you anywhere near South Australia? Laughing

It works for you. I wonder why it doesn't work for me? scratch

Where are you? I believe Google Maps does things slightly differently in different countries, but I don't think this is anything to do with Google Maps. If the lat/long is not there, it's not there...

Anybody else have any theories on what I might be doing to cause this?

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:51 am

You are in Australia ???

Well why didn't you say so you daft sausage Very Happy

Kidding, but SAM, did I read somewhere a while back that GCz had problems with coordinates in the Southern Hemisphere - something about negative numbers or something.

I'm getting old and forgetful so I don't have a clue where I read it or if the problem was solved - do you remember it?

It might not have anything to do with this problem BUT the fact the OP is in the Southern Hemisphere having problems and we're in Europe and not having problems does seem to suggest a link.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 am

Erm, nope, maybe that's not the solution.

I've just downloaded a list for Sydney and it shows fine on Google Maps.

Won't be getting a chance to go for those anytime sooon. Sadly.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 am

PaulLoft wrote:You are in Australia ???

Well why didn't you say so you daft sausage Very Happy

Daft sausage???? (Maybe that's the Queen's English we colonists keep hearing about . . . . ) Cache lists coordinates problem? Icon_lol

Paul, I don't exactly recall anything about Southern Hemisphere conversions, but I could see where exports of the .gpx and the .wpt files could be caused by a location issue.

Scodon, I'm in the US (the Colonies, as I believe Paul would refer to it). With you being in the Southern Hemisphere, I suppose it's possible that if the function that builds the .wpt and .gpx files could possibly fail and result in the lat/long being left out of the file. Seems to be the only plausible explanation at this point.

I don't know if Tom reviews these postings, since this isn't his forum. You might want to post in the GCz thread at XDA about your issue. I'd put an extract of your .wpt and .gpx files in the post for illustrative purposes.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:18 am

Sorry Secret Agent Man, I had it in my head you were in Europe for some reason - told you I was getting old.

So I'm the only one who lives somewhere overcrowded, rainy and dull. Oh great. And you think you have problems?

Back on topic:
If there was a problem with the conversions within GCz should we not be able to duplicate the problem just by seaching on a Southern Hemisphere location on our devices?

Or is there something actually in the device, chip or whatever that is different in the phones the Aussies have?

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  Scodon Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks folks. The southern hemisphere aspect could be a factor, since our server disks spin in the opposite direction, but redhockey would appear to be in the mother land.

Perhaps it's an issue with steam-powered internet?

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Post  Scodon Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:25 am

PaulLoft wrote:Back on topic:
If there was a problem with the conversions within GCz should we not be able to duplicate the problem just by seaching on a Southern Hemisphere location on our devices?

Or is there something actually in the device, chip or whatever that is different in the phones the Aussies have?

I agree; if it was solely a GCz thing I would expect it to affect everybody. It could be a phone network thing, which is why I tried to download using phone network and/or internet connection. Perhaps there's a flaw in my testing, but I didn't find a difference.

Perhaps it's OS or phone related? Mines a 2 year old HTC with WM (6.5? - whatever was standard).

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:28 am

I'm a bit stuck now as to what to suggest.

I have an HTC HD2 with 6.5. They should be the same the world over with only the radio being different perhaps, but that's nothing to do with google maps.
Is there a google maps UK and a Google maps Australia? Are you accessing a different google maps website?

I'm going to have to leave now, I have a day off and am going caching.

Back later if I can be of any further help getting to the bottom of this one.

And forgive the sausage comment, it's a figure of speach, I wasn't really calling you a sausage! Very Happy

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  redhockey Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 am

Hello

I have changed my settings from 40 to 20 to see if I was 'overloading' google maos, but nothing. I was trying to see what I had done to my PDA imbertween the issues, and all I have added is Skyfire but not as my default browser. (using HTC Snap wm6.5)

redhockey

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am

This is a tough one. Interestingly enough, a couple users in the GCz thread at XDA are seeing the same issue. The posts start about HERE.

One user generated 2 .gpx files. One of them, based upon a search by zipcode that I suggested and works properly for me, was MISSING the Lat/Long info in the .gpx. Sound familiar???

Maybe that in some circumstances, GCz is not passing the Lat/Long information to GM. In Scodon's case, it's clearly not passing it to the .gpx or .wpt files.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:34 am

@Scodon

If you have a chance, try re-creating what I suggested in THIS POST. It works fine for me but failed for another user who is having the same issue as you. That user in in the Czech Republic.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Looks like this is a PM vs BM issue. See the global anouncement thread, or the current descussion on xda-developers.

Admin
Admin

http://gczii.newstarforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scodon Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Wow! Great responses, and it looks like the problem has been fairly well defined. As a basic member, I guess I'll have to live with it. At this time, I don't cache enough to justify premium membership.

Thanks to all those who helped to sort this out - I love internet forums. Very Happy

Scodon

Back to top Go down

Post  redhockey Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Bloody Hell Mad I am a basic member also, and i'm sure I read somewhere the last update was around membership etc.

Lets hope Tom can help? Question

Tom, your great by the way Very Happy Very Happy

redhockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next