GCzII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3

+2
SecretAgentMan
swemex
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3 Empty Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3

Post  swemex Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:00 am

Hi! My app works just fine until I try to log a cache, I get the error message "Log submit failed" Does anyone know why? How to fix it?
Or is it just me having this problem??
Thanx, Anders

swemex

Back to top Go down

Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3 Empty Re: Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3

Post  SecretAgentMan Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:24 pm

What version are you running?

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3 Empty Latest version

Post  swemex Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:24 pm

GCzII_20100812_1400_0235_50.cab

swemex

Back to top Go down

Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3 Empty Re: Log submit failed? - Resolved - see last few posts on page 3

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 am

swemex wrote:GCzII_20100812_1400_0235_50.cab

Yep, that's the latest cab. Can you please confirm that this version is being displayed in the lower left corner of the main screen? The error you're describing occurred in an earlier version, but was fixed.

You might try clearing your \Cache_DB as described in the sticky post in this forum. Also, insure that you language setting on Geocaching.com is set to English.

If those fail, I guess I'd try uninstalling and reloading GCzII .50.

Can you describe in detail the steps that you are taking, starting right after GCz loads, to get the error? What phone are you using?

Just guessing here, since no one seems to have reported this error since it was fixed.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:58 am

Hi! Thanx for helping me Smile
I have the .50 version in the lower left corner. In have cleared the \Cache_DB. It is set to English. And I have tried to reinstall GczII.
I have an HTC HD2. I can start GczII, load a cache list, chose a cache and see all info (everything is working so far), when I have the cache open I click on Menu, Post log/Field notes, Post log (now the post log window opens normally), I can use menus like "found it, date, etc and write text, but when I click on Ok and answer yes to submit log now I get an error box saying: "Log submit failed" This is the only thing that's not working, everything else, inventory etc. is working just fine..

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:18 am

Hmmm. Everything seems good so far. I don't think it's anything specific to the phone, since other users us a HD2 as well. Maybe something carrier specific, but I doubt it.

You mentioned that you are loading a cache list. Are you manually loading a .gpx file, or are you generating a cache list using the phone's data connection? I bring this up just to make sure that you're aware you need a data connection to post a log. It's possible to use GCz without a data connection and still view caches, so I'm just checking.

Can you generate a list of caches closest to you using the "Search for Nearby Caches" or "Search by Postal Code?

Check your profile on Geocaching.com after you get one of the failures. Is the log posted even though GCz indicates that it failed? There were occurrences where this was taking place as well.

Has this function ever worked for you, or are you a new GCz user?

Are you a Basic or Premium member on Geocaching.com?

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 am

Hi again!

Yes I load the cache list with the phones internet connection and I search for nearby caches.
The log doesn't show on geocaching.com. I'm not new, I've used this a long time and it has worked before..
I'm a basic member so far, but i'll upgrade right away if I knew it was working!!

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:38 am

When did this stop working for you? Has .50 worked before? Was it around September 12th by chance? This was the last GC.com update.

I only asked about the membership because another GCz feature now requires a Premium Membership to work fully. No one else has yet reported your issue, so I'm not suggesting that's the case for what you're encountering.

I'm sure a couple other regulars will be checking this forum, so hopefully they may be able to help.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:42 am

Could have been around sept 12!! But it´s weird in that case that I'm the only one with problems..

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:43 am

I agree. Let's see if a few other regulars have something to say.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:48 am

ps. I posted re this in the XDA FORUM.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:52 am

Thanx!

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 am

Hi Guys,

Don't know if I am going to be much help, but as a fellow HD2 user I'll try and chip in.

Although my system is working fine for searching and logging, I did have a problem on Sunday. Went to log a cache and got the same error (Log Submit Failed).
I have had this before from time to time, and I normally restart the phone so that the internet connection resets and try again.

So I went back to my field note and tried logging it again. It went through ok. BUT, when I checked the log list I had actually posted 2 'found it' logs. So the first one had posted despite the error message.

So my first question would be have you verified that even though you get the error message, the log is not being posted?
When this fault appeared last time, the error message itself was the error - the log always went through ok, but the software failed at the point where it tried to load back up the cache info to refresh the log list after your submission. That's what was causing the error message.

Would be interesting to know if the logs are posting despite the error message.

Cheers
Paul
(aka Lovejoy)

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:51 am

In my case the logs don't come through to geocaching.com

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 am

I have one other idea.

I have just remembered another time when I was having trouble logging back in June.

Somehow my fieldnotes.txt file had become corrupted and no log would go through.

I think the field notes file just builds and builds over time. So if it gets corrupted it will never clear itself and logging will always fail.

Have you tried clearing your fieldnotes file?

I think you can delete it completely, then when you create a new field note (or log) it will create itself again.

If you are not comfortable doing that, open up the file in notepad, delete it's contents, and save it, so it is an empty file.

Then try uploading a log - have you got something you can run a test on - your own cache perhaps?

If not, I'm happy for you to post a test found log to one of my caches which I'll then delete if it goes through ok. Just let me know.

Cheers

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:54 am

Where do I find the fieldnote file?

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:05 am

It should be in the same directory as the GCz.exe file.

So either \program files\GCz
or
Storage Card\program files\GCz

Depending if you installed to device or card

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 am

The other thing you can do is rename the existing one to something like fieldnotesold.txt, then save it.

Then open GCz and test a log.

That way, your old fieldnotes records are still there in case you ever need them again. Although if the file is corrupted it would be best to delete it so it can't cause further problems.

If this doesn't work I am out of ideas

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am

Weird thing is that I don't have fieldnotes.txt in my GczII-folder... I'll make one and put it there to se!

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

Nope, didn't work Sad

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:49 am

I'm sure that the fieldnotes.txt file is what GCz uses to upload your logs.

So if you don't have one......

It should be in the same directory as GCZII.exe, but if the program isn't creating it when you generate a field note then maybe that is at the root of the problem.
And creating one yourself might not be good enough for the program to recognise it.

My only other suggestion would be to uninstall the program and put a fresh copy on, then see if the fieldnotes file can be created by the software when you generate a log.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:06 am

My Fieldnotes.txt file is on the storage card. In GCz, my download settings is set to \Storage Card\GCz. The Fieldnotes.txt is in that GCz folder on the card.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:19 pm

A Basic Member posted at XDA that he is able to post via the data connection just fine, so my theory about membership isn't the solution.

I think that there must be a fieldnotes.txt file somewhere. Let us know what happens after you find and delete it.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  swemex Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 am

I've tried everything, but it's still not working Sad

swemex

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 am

Did you find your fieldnotes.txt file - one with something in it?

If you have tried everything then there is nothing else to try. And since no one else is reporting a problem, PM or BM's then I'm at a loss what to suggest.
It's not a software fault, or others would be having problems.

There is nothing else to suggest if you have tried everything. Sorry.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next