GCzII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KMZ Files & calculating mileage

3 posters

Go down

KMZ Files & calculating mileage Empty KMZ Files & calculating mileage

Post  PaulLoft Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Okay, I set my GCz to log my course on Sunday on a 7(ish) mile walk.

I obtained the txt file which I have converted to a KMZ file, which I then overlaid in Google Earth.

Not entirely successful as it was a circular walk and I have an orange trace line which is broken in many places.
I know I didn't teleport parts of the route, so is this perhaps where I went under heavy tree cover and my phone lost the GPS signal?
If so it means most of my treks will never be capable of being fully logged, as I usually end up under trees at some point.

I had the phone in it's pouch on my belt (as I was using the Garmins of other team members to find the caches) To get a proper tracking log does the phone need to be held out in the open rather than, or would that make no difference?

And finally:
Regardless of how complete my track log is, how do I get the mileage from the KMZ file?
Is it done withing Google Earth somehow or is there a bit of software that calulates distance from the file?

I would really love to track some of my walks and calculate the distance. Especially as I am about to set a circular series of multi caches and would like to put on the cache page how many miles the walk is in total.

Thanks.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

KMZ Files & calculating mileage Empty Re: KMZ Files & calculating mileage

Post  SecretAgentMan Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 am

Take a look at this: http://gpsed.com/about . I haven't used this software, but made a note of it as I was browsing.

After a track is presented in Google Earth (and maybe Google Maps?), it will allow you to click along a route to calculate distance. Probably not an exact measurement, but perhaps close enough for what you're trying to do.

SecretAgentMan

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks S.A.M, I will take a look at that.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  Andronicus Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

I would recomend GPSed as well. I use it for all sorts of back country tracking. As long as your phone doesn't go into standby, you should be good. See example here

Andronicus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:59 am

Andronicus wrote:I would recomend GPSed as well. I use it for all sorts of back country tracking. As long as your phone doesn't go into standby, you should be good. See example here

Yes, that's what I wanted to end up with, thanks.

I will play with that today and go for a walk round town and see if I can get an unbroken route.

My HD2 does go into standby (when on a long hike using GCz I put it into stand by to save battery).

I wonder if that's what is breaking my route.

I'll experiment today and see what happens.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum