GCzII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS Accuracy

3 posters

Go down

GPS Accuracy Empty GPS Accuracy

Post  jingshen Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:32 am

In GCzII->Menu->GPS->GPS Settings, there is an item labelled "GPS Accuracy" with choices running from 1 to 10. What is the use for this and which one of 1 or 10 has the highest accuracy?
jingshen
jingshen

Back to top Go down

GPS Accuracy Empty Re: GPS Accuracy

Post  bigzdog Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:40 am

I wondered this too.

I noticed that the +/- distance on the 'gps monitor' screen is smaller if I set the accuracy to a lower number (EX: At 5 accuracy, the distance is +/- 45ft and at 2 accuracy, it is +/- 15ft) , but I don't know if it really changes anything.

bigzdog

Back to top Go down

Post  acejavelin Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:41 am

This has nothing to due with the actual accuracy of your GPSr... it is how it is displayed on the radar screen and deals more this some giving you a "comfort zone" to search in. Adjusting it is kind of an experience and trial and error thing if you actually want to bother using it. I quit using it and generally just use a 30' rule, "When the GPS is says I am at GZ, search a 30 foot radius from that spot" and most of the time that is good enough.

The GPS Accuracy setting mainly gives you a visual indication of the search area when you get close to ground zero, when your GPS says you are 3 feet away +/-20 feet (the darker gray circle in the center), the +/-20 feet portion is an estimate of the accuracy (or error) meaning that you are within 20 feet of the coordinates that your GPS says it at. Setting this setting higher means GCzII considers your GPSr's coordinates are less accurate (it will increase the size of the +/- area), setting it lower means GCzII consider your GPSr's coordinates to be of higher accuracy (it will decrease the size of the +/- area).

My experience is the default setting of 6 is pretty good for most cell phones. I use a setting of 5 for my Dell Axim with an older Holux SIRFIIe CompactFlash receiver and with my other Axim with a US GlobalSat SIRFIII card that seems to pickup signal really well I use a setting of 3-4. I know someone who uses a Trimble GeoXT (the GPSr in this unit is extremely accurate, usually within inches of actual coordinates) and sets this at 1.

Just remember this has nothing to due with the actual accuracy of the GPSr receiver in your device, it is only how accurate GCzII considers it be so it can display a general search area for you on the radar screen.
acejavelin
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

GPS Accuracy Empty re: GPS accuracy

Post  jingshen Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Thank you both for your answers. It makes things clearer for me.
jingshen
jingshen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum