GCzII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jumped ship on WinMo... to Android

2 posters

Go down

Jumped ship on WinMo... to Android Empty Jumped ship on WinMo... to Android

Post  acejavelin Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Well, I needed a new phone, my old one was literally on its last legs so I reluctantly opted for an HTC Incredible 2 running Android 2.3 since there was almost no chance (or reason too other than GCzII) of getting a new Windows Mobile 6.5 device anymore... Still have my Dell Axims running 6.1 and 6.5 and if I ever decide to bite the bullet and get a hotspot data package they might get used some again for GCzII if it gets fixed ever (nothing against Tom, he is awesome!).

Been using c:geo and a few utility apps and it works really well, but I miss GCzII, it was so much nicer. For all the power, and apps, the Android has I have to say the trade off was worth it... and the GPS in the phone is WAY more accurate than my old one.

Anybody else finally jump ship on Window Mobile and go to Android and use it as your "primary" Geocaching device?
acejavelin
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Jumped ship on WinMo... to Android Empty Re: Jumped ship on WinMo... to Android

Post  switchez Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 am

Yep, I've had to do the same thing. HTC Incredible S for me.

c:geo is the player of choice for the mo, but I really miss the tracks in the radar that GcZii did so well.
The other part.. seems it has the offline ability it's still not fully great in that mode. I miss the offline maps with GPS tracking on seeing were you are in relation to the cache. hopefully c:geo gets this too eventually.

The other good thing for me moving is the geo oz app has entered too. No if only they could combine the apps with common services for any geo caching online DB's to source from.

switchez

Back to top Go down

Post  acejavelin Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:08 am

Nice phone (Incredible S = Incredible 2 just on different carriers!)

You can do off-line caching with c:geo, you just need to store the maps locally in OSM (OpenStreetMaps) format... unfortunately I haven't had to need to figure that out yet, but the settings menu of c:geo has a link to more information.

I also find it interesting to see other Geocachers in your area on the map, as long as they use the Go4Cache location publishing as well... although the only time I actually ran into another cacher with it, the encounter was rather awkward since he didn't know his phone even did that I kind of scared him.

Anyway, it's not GCzII, but it is a usable, feature rich tool... I haven't tried out any of the other Android caching apps, this one has done everything I need. A friend of mine uses the official GC.com app and really likes it.
acejavelin
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down