GCzII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows Mobile 7

+4
Admin
tmax
acejavelin
Andronicus
8 posters

Go down

Windows Mobile 7 Empty Windows Mobile 7

Post  Andronicus Mon May 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Anyone using Windows Mobile 7 yet? Does GCzII work on it?

Andronicus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Windows Mobile 7 Empty Re: Windows Mobile 7

Post  acejavelin Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Haven't seen WM7 yet, but it has been widely circulated (I don't know if its true or not) that current Windows Mobile applications will NOT work with WM7. Seems like Microsoft would be hurting itself more than helping by doing this, but this is what I remember reading.

Going a little off topic, I am more interested in how using GCzII with a high-end, ruggedized PDA with an embedded GPS would work, something like a Pharos PTL565E, Getac PS236, Trimble GEO series or similar PDA. They seem a little spendy, but with the new Pharos street priced at $449 and the various Trimble/Getac models going for under $700 on eBay from time to time, it is not that much more than a high-end Garmin/Magellan/Delorme GPS unit but it could be much more capable for Geocaching if GC would stop trying to break stuff. Very Happy
acejavelin
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Post  tmax Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:47 am

Given that WM6.5 and WM7 are NOT compatible is Tom planning to port the App ?

If so where to ?
iPhone, Android, WM7

Is this the beginning of the end. Sad

tmax

Back to top Go down

Post  tmax Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:53 am

acejavelin wrote:Going a little off topic, I am more interested in how using GCzII with a high-end, ruggedized PDA with an embedded GPS would work

I've found the only thing that PDA's/mobiles really hate is water; the screen stops responding.
They're generally pretty robust, I just fit a neoprene sleeve and screen protector.

For the times when it gets TOO wet, a plastic bag suffices. Laughing
Who wants to go out in the ran anyway....

tmax

Back to top Go down

Post  acejavelin Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 am

tmax wrote:I've found the only thing that PDA's/mobiles really hate is water; the screen stops responding.
They're generally pretty robust, I just fit a neoprene sleeve and screen protector.

For the times when it gets TOO wet, a plastic bag suffices. Laughing
Who wants to go out in the ran anyway....
Thanks for the reply, thought this was just a forgotten section...

This is pretty much what I have been doing with my Dell Axim... it is great for caching except for the water resistance issue, its not water resistant at all. I tend to travel all over the state, so if I am near a cache I want, shine or rain (or here snow is more likely 1/2 the year) I just go for it. But I am more concerned about accidentally dropping it in the river/lake/pond or other water filled "hazard", have had several close calls. They also are not very drop resistant in general...

That is why I was curious if anyone had tried with a ruggedized PDA, water and shock resistant unit...

BTW, if you get a chance, YouTube search "GETAC PDA" and you will see some pretty cool videos of what a PDA should be able handle
acejavelin
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:07 pm

I have a topic on the Geocaching.com forums on using a PDA for a back country GPSr. The essence of it is to use a skin (I use silicon), and a lanyard. I have done some very roughed mountain scrambling this way, and have had no issues.

The GC.com thread is here http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=241889

Admin
Admin

http://gczii.newstarforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 pm

In addition, to keep the phone from swinging wildly from my neck and banging into rocks, I clip the little lanyard tail (the little part that is actualy attached to the phone) to a beaner on my backpack sholder strap. It is in a fairly convinient location to use without haveting to unclip it. The only anoying thing is that I have to unclip if I want to take my pack off. But my camera is also cliped in there, so it is realy no added issue for me.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:13 pm

acejavelin wrote:...BTW, if you get a chance, YouTube search "GETAC PDA" and you will see some pretty cool videos of what a PDA should be able handle

We have a few GETAC Laptops at work. They are indeed a prety roughed laptop! I would love to get my hands of one of their PDAs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulLoft Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:48 am

I have just watched a video of the HTC HD7.

Oooooh. And I thought my HD2 would keep me from wanting a new phone for several years.

But I want one of these now. But not without GCzII.

Hope Tom switches to 7 soon.

PaulLoft

Back to top Go down

Post  tmax Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:33 am

I can't see GCz lasting much longer in it's present guise.
Maintenance has been slow and minimal and GS updates more regular, you cannot depend on it. Sad

My next phone will probably be Android running c:geo which appears to be as good AND has proper support.

Nothing against Tom; great programmer, but his priorities are obviously elsewhere.

Would be good if somebody could get his plans for GCz. Question

tmax

Back to top Go down

Post  schnider Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I hate to get too far off topic, but I'd say we have done quite well here with Tom for the price we have paid for this software. Very Happy

schnider

Back to top Go down

Post  tmax Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:37 am

Well, the Windows 7 Phones have arrived.

But is there any software to run on them. Question

My Contract isn't due 'til NEXT Xmas, so I'm in no rush. Sad

tmax

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessTwo Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 am

...Official GS Geocaching app is available for £7.99 on Zune marketplace.

Im still tied into a contract on WM 6.5 for another year at least, so I'm hoping that GCz stays as it is and Tom keeps updating.

CluelessTwo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:28 pm

CluelessTwo wrote:...Official GS Geocaching app is available for £7.99 on Zune marketplace.

Im still tied into a contract on WM 6.5 for another year at least, so I'm hoping that GCz stays as it is and Tom keeps updating.
Don't hold your breath on the official app. Have you tired the old WM6.x app (live.geocaching.com). It was almost unusable. Maybe this new one will be better... Shocked

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Faye89 Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:36 pm

as the subject of this discussion is Windows Mobile 7, based on a leaked concept document that consists of well over a hundred pages, comes the low down on the revolutionary Windows Mobile 7 OS that will hit devices in 2009. You've probably already heard about WinMo 6.1 being just around the corner with the official announcement expected at the professional Mobile World Congress 2008 (formerly known as 3GSM) held in Barcelona in February 2008.
The v. 6.1 update doesn't bring that many changes though, but Windows Mobile 7 is entirely a different thing. It's the Microsoft response to the revolutionary iPhone user interface that had us right from the first look. Yeah, we know the iPhone is not the uber-device everyone's been expecting, but it has set the bar so high in terms of user interface, that it's jump-started the competing R&D departments industry-wide and changed the whole idea of interacting with your phone.
But we are talking Windows Mobile now, so let's get back to our game. In a nutshell, Windows Mobile 7 will bring to smart devices some much expected revolutionary features such as full touch-based navigation and motion gestures control. And for that WinMo devices won't rely on accelerometers, but instead they will use their front facing cameras to detect movement. You can shake or twist to get the phone doing things.
The new Windows Mobile 7 is designed to be used on devices with touchscreen only, several keys, full QWERTY keyboards, and devices without touch screens. The touch-only devices are specifically referenced as "iPhone compete" in the leaked document.

Faye89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down